Normally, we can rename the list or document library in Sharepoint CMS but from the admin panel we canâ€™t change the url. Renaming the list doesnâ€™t confirm that the corresponding url is also changed, the url will remain same. The easier way is to copy this list template and create a new list with it, then delete old one. But there is a problem, modified date will be changed in this procedure. Also converting such files into template is not possible, unfortunately. In that case you have to upload all the files again in the new document library.
We have another way.
- Open the site in sharepoint designer.
- Browse to the list.
- You will see a folder named to the list that are available in that site.
- Just rename this folder, thatâ€™s it. Your list URL is changed.
- But it doenâ€™t confirm that the list name is also changed, you have to rename the list through CMS.
Sometimes you may see your edit page menu is disabled for some sharepoint site page. It may happens if someone check out that page and didnâ€™t publish. In that case itâ€™s good idea to not touch that page until you are sure that this page is still not being edited and he published the required version. Otherwise you will be totaled :p
In this case, you have to:
- Click on Site Actions => Show Page Editing toolbar
- You will see editing toolbar.
- From Page menu click on override check out. Then you can edit this page and publish when you are done !
When we need to move a large list to another sharepoint site, it is really boring to create a new one. So we can copy this list template and upload it to the new site where we need it.
Follow the instruction to do it?
- Go to Site Actions => View all site content
- Go to old list
- Go to List settings: Settings => List Settings
- Under PermissionÂ and Management click â€œSave list as templateâ€
- Give name, title and description
- Press OK.
- Go to list template gallery where you can see all available list templates
Now you have to upload this template into your new site.
- Go to Site Actions => Site Settings => Modify All Site Settings (Where you want to upload this list template)
- Under Gallery title click on List Templates
- Upload the template here. Give name, title and description.
Now it is available in your custom list templates.
- Site Actions => View all site content
- Custom list => Your given name for the copied list template
- Give Name, title and description
Youâ€™re done. Cheers!
Sometimes we need to copy a webpart in sharepoint rather than creating one. Itâ€™s because you may not have time to create one or you canâ€™t do it. So, itâ€™s better idea to copy a web part and change required parameters.
Follow the procedure:
- Click on web part menus
- Click on Export to export the webpart
- Go to Site Actions => Site Settings => Modify All Site Settings (Where you want to upload this web part)
- Under Gallery headings click on Web Parts.
- You will see a list of available webparts here. Click on Upload to upload your exported webpart. Before that in some sharepoint site you may need to add/rename webpart filename extension as something.webpart.
- Give webpart name and description how you want to see it.
This webpart is now available for the site. Cheers !